CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Scrapbooking beginnings

Welcome and thank you for reading my blog. Here I hope to share and inspire those who stop by. I am a long time part time hobbyist SU demo. I started my journey back in 2002 with a trip to Coldwater Lake, Michigan. I wanted my son to remember his first time at Aunt Pappy's lake, learning to fish. My was 7 years old and just a little blurb about him, since birth is has always been a pessimist. Hates going anywhere or doing anything new because it's not going to be any fun. So at the ripe age of 7 I wanted to make a book about a time he actually had a GOOD time. That is my beginning of my love of scrapbooking.

Somewhere along the line I was introduced to Stampin Up products, I was in LOVE and began my hobby by collecting a few stamps sets only to realize I needed to have ALL the ink colors, then ALL the cardstock. Now years later I have to ask myself? Do I need anymore stamp sets? Well yes I do, I need them ALL!!!!!! But I need to discipline myself to only buy what I need for Scrapbooking and stop worrying so much about all the cute cards out there.

I have done extensive research on the internet looking for inspiration for scrapbooking pages. The ones I really like have lots and lots of detail and embellishments, layering etc. I am sure you have seen them. I start out trying to make a page like that, because simple pages just aren't good enough. Well this is 2008, and I don't know if its age or wisdom or learned by past mistakes, but I have decided I need to get back to basics. Basics being:
1. take picture
2. develop picture
3. choose the really special ones
4. Decide what color cardstock to use that really brings out that picture color.
5. Place picture or pictures on the cardstock after cropping it or not.
6. worry about embellishments, stamps later, concentrate on the caption of the picture (date) and any journaling that is appropriate for that particular picture. Even if the only journal is my "feelings" about that picture.
7. put pictures in order in individual books based on each child or in the "family" book for things that contain more than just one person in each picture.

and last but not least after all of that is done, then I can add embellishments, stickers, flowers, brads or Stamped images. But the primary focus is to get those pictures out of the box and onto paper, that seems to be the hardest part.

And like most of you I have tons and tons of doo dads, foo faa's, stickers, scrapbooking tools, etc. It's time to organize those pretties into categories and file them where you can reach them.

I have been reading on Splitcoast Stampers some people have made these commitments to scrapbooking X amount of pages per month or year. WHOA! I saw one where she said she wanted to do 356 pages. OMG is all I have to say. There is no way I could commit to that, shoot just getting out 365 pictures would scare me.

So I have decided to commit to 36 pages, or 72 if its a 2 page lage out. But bottom line 36 scrapbook entries. I figure to commit to 1 page per child plus 1 page per family. So 3 entries a month into a scrapbook. Well it's already February 9th so I better get crackin!

If anyone has any idea's or suggestions to help speed up my process or tricks of the trade, please feel free to leave me a comment, or email.

thanks

0 comments: